Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The big drive.


Last night I got back to Seattle. It’s very surreal. The last two weeks have been so filled with "busy"ness that I have let myself forget that I am leaving a place that I love. I have been SO excited about what lies ahead that I have let go of what lies in my not-so-distant past (and present). Since I am moved out of my house, I will be staying at Em’s house. Tomorrow, I will attend my last class and receive my “certificate” in non-profit management. I have plans for a night out with classmates to celebrate what we have accomplished and what lies ahead. Wednesday, I have meal plans with pals to say goodbye (for now) and then pick up my travel buddy from the airport. We’ll head back to Em’s hideaway and rest before heading out on Thursday morning for the final departure from Seattle. (Even typing that my eyes get misty.)

Thursday morning (likely well before the sun comes up) Papa and I will leave my beloved Seattle with my suitcases packed, the bike hitched to the car, maps stowed in place, Dave on the iPod and plenty of hot tamales.  We’ll head east through the Cascades into Eastern Washington (where I have yet to be) and then through Idaho (we may need to grab a potato or two) and into Montana where will stay with the dudette’s BFF and her hubby.

Friday, we plan to check out Yellowstone Park and see what there is to see and check out what we can before dark.

Saturday, we’ll head toward South Dakota to visit the Presidents at Mt. Rushmore.

Sunday, we’ll wake before the sun so we can drive through the badlands at sunrise since it is touted to be so amazing.

Monday, we’ll drive on through Chicago (and stop to grab a new car and meet a new baby). Papa will take his new car on home and I’ll follow (in what is likely to be a stinky roadtrip car by then!).

I’ll plant my feet for a few days in Detroit, then head to my beach for an extended beach (I’d like to say vacation), but it’s really work time with family.

I am 100% sure there will be random journeys and adventures along this path. And I am sure I will get sad along the way to leave behind a place and people I love so much. But I am excited for what lies ahead in my new home. And I think my Papa and I will have a GREAT adventure getting there.

We’ll see check some states off the list and make the bucket list almost complete.

I am sure we will talk and laugh and try to solve the world’s troubles.  

And see things we’ve never seen.

Starting this new chapter in this way is fitting I think.

Big adventures for the big life adventure that lies before me.

I am excited to see what transpires. Stay tuned for tales from the road…

1 comment:

  1. i can't even wait to hear the adventures you and your papa are going to have. so lucky to have these kinds of memories my friend.

    ReplyDelete