Thursday, January 10, 2019

Becoming a 'We'

Last September, just before I became a we, I wrote a post called The Little Things. In it I write about our happy life and why I think it's so happy. My observation is that it's a not big gestures, but the little things. "Relationships aren't always a fairy tale. They're not always fireworks and sparks, at least, after the start. But they are a quiet rhythm and hum of love and care. It's not a fire in your soul, but one in your hearth, keeping you warm and comfortable, comforting you as you drift to sleep."

Recently I have been quiet. For those that know me well, they know my quiet is often a less than positive thing. It means I am contemplating, that something is brewing. It can be positive, yes, but often stormy seas are a result along the way. My recent quiet is a positive contemplative state. I am feeling change - in work and in life. Nothing catastrophic, but some change.
For me that means action steps and plans. I am the pebble to make a ripple/make the change. I don't just wait for the change to come to me. So my quiet place has led me to conclude that I should finish some education that will advance my career and make some major change. In order to do it, some dynamics at home need to adjust, so it's more than just me making that choice, it's a conversation with the other part of my 'we'.
I brought it up, and without any hesitation, my other half replied with action steps. (meaning he was 100% on board and ready to make a plan). That was Monday. Yesterday (Wednesday), in passing, he casually mentioned that he moved some money around so my tuition would be covered and included "extra" in case I have to take the exam more than once. But before that statement was even completed he said, "But I really don't think that it's needed because you'll pass the first time. You are so smart that you'll have such an easy time."
That is a partner. That is 'person'. That is why one selects to become a 'we'.

Growing up, I watched my parents be the best partner for each other and their individual growth and choices, along with those that affected our whole family.
I am so grateful to have had such a great example and to have subsequently found a person to be my biggest fan, my biggest support. He is my person. He is the one who will celebrate my victories and pick me up when I stumble or fall. He is the one to offer a hug after a tough day. But he is also the one to remind me of ways I might handle it differently (sometimes less gently than I would prefer!), but no matter what he is on my side. Always.
It works the other way too! I am in awe of his intelligence, his way with words, how he handles tough situations and confronts things head on. I so admire the respect he garners from teammates and friends (both at work and just in life). And I love that he loves and takes on my people as his own.  I love that he is fiercely protective of his people, vulnerable beings and all animals. I love his marshmallow center and the tender way he greets a child or a dog. I love and support his wanderlust- that he always searching for the next step, the next place, all in an effort to make sure I'm taken care of; that he is providing the life I deserve. What's funny is that he doesn't need to do anything more than be my partner and continue to be by my side through this fabulous life.


1 comment:

  1. Simply beautiful and heartfelt, sweet Jessica. Your "we" is so reminiscent of mine with My Kahuna - right down to "his marshmallow center and the tender way he greets a child or a dog." I love that you have found your person. Embrace every single moment. XO

    ReplyDelete