Thursday, April 25, 2013

Please and Thank you and other such things

When I was younger I had friends who would tease me about the way I answered the phone or the way I would ask for them when I called their houses. You remember back in the day when you actually had to call someone's home to get them on the phone and when (gasp) their mom/dad/sibling picked up? Or before call waiting (double gasp!)?*
Anyway, when I called I was taught to say "Hi, Mrs Soandso, may I speak with...?". And when I picked up the phone and someone asked for me, I replied, "this is she.". Polite. Nice phone etiquette. (In fact, that politeness won me some babysitting gigs over other of-age girls in the hood. well, that and my neat handwriting.) I digress again...
Being polite got me what I wanted-- the person I needed to speak with, the job, the respect I deserved. I was taught well. We said please and thank you all the time at our house. We knew that it was important. We were taught that you said those things out of respect for the person with whom you were interacting.
I have maintained that level of politeness into my grown-up life. When you get a gift, you send a thank you. When someone does something nice for you, you acknowledge them. (Anyone that follows this blog or knows me at all, knows I am huge fan of real mail and thank you notes are a big part of that.) My favorite blog, just did a little project about spreading the joy with thanks. Please and thank you, as I learned, can go a long way to help you get what you want and to make sure people around you feel appreciated for what they do for you.
Lately, in my job, I have really started to question the effectiveness of this way of thinking. People are not polite. They are entitled. They seem to not care. And are just plain rude. I'm not saying everyone, but I can confidently say it is a vast majority of people out there. From the produce lady who didn't see if I was okay when I slipped on a tomato in the produce section (another story for another time) to my arch nemesis at the parks office. I am polite and think of others. And yet others do not. No regard for others feelings, time, or need.
It is driving me crazy!
Miss Manners may have died, but the lessons she taught and the lessons every single one of us should have learned in Kindergarten (or before) should hold true even in adulthood. Possibly more so!
Say Please. Say Thank you.
Simply words that can make a world of difference! And can help make you acknowledge that others exist.
Things I will remember in my daily interactions and things I will remember when I someone of great power (note: not if, but when...)
Thank you!







*I do have to say, I somewhat miss the surprise of not knowing who is calling. And what do girls (and boys) do when they "like" someone now? You can't stalk them now. If you call more than once, they know! Man, that changes the way to communicate in the 7th grade! And what about prank calls?! That was such a fun sleepover game! Shucks-- kids are kind of missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment