Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Seattle Recap


This past week (well last week now because I am so late in reporting) was the Seattle 3-Day event. It was weird to manage an event in my home city. In fact, once I was on-event I continued to forget that my house was only 45 minutes away. I think this was a saving grace to not be reminded that my bed and pillows were only a short drive down the road. I was definatel tempted!

The event went well overall, but there were gliches (as there always are). The important thing to remember is how we deal with those glitches. For example, instead of buidling a dining tent (because the ground was WAY too soft) we (well, the amazing tent boys and their helpers) built a dining area that Buzz-buzz called a Shanty-Town Dining tent. It was an array of tents that reminded me of the little fishing houses (or boats) in a remote fishing village. It was quirky but it had some charm.

The rain came on Thursday and stayed through Friday for most of the day. It went away for the most amazing day of walking ever (no joke- 72 and sunny. Perfect!). But then returned with a vengence on Sunday morning, just in time for breakfast. I am sad to report we all got caught in it. No one chose to dine under the tents, rather they waited in line for the buses with their plates of food. In hindsight, perhaps we should have provided each walker with a cute umbrella. Maybe next time? It dried out for the closing ceremonies. The walkers left happy, the staff left tired. And then I got to go home, to my own bed in my own house (even though it was a little messy). Delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment