Sunday, September 19, 2010

Skyscraper heels


On Friday I had the especially great experience of a significant flight delay for no apparent reason (sense the sarcasm?). There was no weather, no apparent airplane engine errors, etc. As a frequent traveler, I know that delays happen. And they are generally fine. I am prepared--I always have a good book and a fully charged iPod and definately always have work to complete (especially in event season)! With events coming up and many, many things left to do, I had high hopes to get some work done. Sadly, ATL has not gotten on board to provide weary travelers free and reliable internet. (It is a modern city, but still the south, which seems to mean slightly behind the times. I mean even CLE has internet!)

That said, I decided to enjoy the time. Afterall, I had a good book and my tunes. So, I just plugged in and started to do my favorite activity ever-- people-watching! Within minutes, I observed the following:
The slip and fall of a skyscraper heel wearer. This woman was the epitome of the "together traveler" (see previous post)- she had her matching Louis Vuitton suitcase and attache case, super-cute suit ensemble, and of course, the sky-high heels. As I was watching her approach, I was just thinking- awesome, another "together traveler". And then it happened. The wobble and the complete and total collapse of the together traveler. She straight-up bit it! Completely! If she were skiing, it would have been a yard-sale. I couldn't believe it. Before you think I am a total jerk--she was just fine. She stood up (a little brighter faced), brushed off the suit (damn, it was super cute), and picked up her things with the help of many others. She then just continued on her way--click, click, click, click, click, click. It was literally like it never happened. Except that it did. And it was just one more item added to the list of reasons why one should not wear high heels to the airport. I mean, even if you are conviced that you can only wear heels--put em away for the commute! No one is impressed. And in fact, I have now witnessed the risks.

And really, it's only a matter of time before TSA stops allowing spiked-heels onto the plane. Liquids were banished and haven't been allowed back. Those heels could definately be seen as a serious weapon, especially compared to my face lotion.

1 comment: