Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Good tidings



"Good tidings we bring to you and your kin. We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."


It's that time of the year. Christams. It means different things to different people for every reaons imaginable. For me, it has always meant a warm, coxy home filled with sights, smells, and people I love. It means celebrating with friends and family. It means traditions- both old and new. And it means giving of yourself and to others.


In high school, I started to save all my change and would fill my pockets and drop the spare change in the Salvation Army buckets anytime I went anywhere-- as soon as they were out. Some friends thought I was crazy, but it was just spare change and could help someone. I didn't find it embarassing in the least. And ever since, I have found something to do to give of myself each year.


Last year, for whatever reason I couldn't find that Christmas spirit. Literally it took some time with the munchkins and a drive by Clark Griswold's Michigan home before I even felt a little of the Christmas magic. This year I am back to normal. Nearing St. Nicholas Day I was excited for the season. Maybe it was all that early advertising? I mean it started in September in some places.


While my spirit may have been influenced by those ads, they definately didn't influence my purchasing dollars. As of today, I have only bought gifts for the munchkins. No one else. Luckily my family is celebrating in January (due to scheduling and want of time with one another).


Anyway-- back to where I found my spirit. The week after Thanksgiving I was starting to get worried that it would be hard to find again this year, but a random trip to Target made me find it. (weird and sounds a little sad at first, but wait...). As I said I was at Target, completely with the intention of buying myself some new couch pillows. I have spent LOTS of time in my living room lately (office and lounging) and needed a mini winter refresh. I had spotted the pillows on an earlier random adventure with two good friends.


When I walked into the store, I stopped at the $1 Spot (as I always do. I mean you never know what awesomeness you could find there for just $1). This occassion I found some fun little kid things and immediately thought of my friend KP. She and her mom are part of my Seattle family and appreciate the fun of St. Nicholas Day. Last year, St Nick had made a trip to their house and the $1 spot reminded me that St. Nick should go again. As soon as it started, I got giggly and excited thinking of the things that would be a surprise (and maybe needed) on Tuesday morning when they woke up for school. That St. Nick shopping did it. The giving of good tidings (okay not tidings but things) to another. I knew it would put a smile on their faces no matter what kind of a morning it was (and it turns out it was a very very very not good one).


Since that shopping trip, I have that same feeling of warmth. The Christmas spirit.

I make sure to fill a pocket with some spare change and brighten the day of the homeless man down the block, buy coffee for the person in line behind me or let that person go ahead of me in line.

"Good tidings we bring to you and your kin. We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year."


And while these gestures of kindness should be part of daily and regular life, this time of the year brings stress and worry for many so a little extra kindness never hurt anyone. In fact, it feels warm and fuzzy.


No comments:

Post a Comment