Monday, December 12, 2011

back on a bus.

And after the longest hiatus ever. (sorry my loyal readers, life just got a little busy and I decided to be social instead of blogging when I had a free minute.) I have made notes for the months that have gone by and if motivated (or stuck inside on a rainy day), I may update...we'll see.

Anyway, I am back. And am making my repost with bus adventures. :)
I received a jury summons about a month ago and today was the day. Included with the summons was a bus pass. Now, I took the bus a few times when I first moved to Seattle. Because it's that kind of town. But I quickly learned, I am not really that kind of person. Plus, I can avoid traffic-filled times of day because I don't commute further than the local coffee shop.
So, I was trying to figure out where to park, etc and asked a friend who recently went. Parking in downtown Seattle is pricey, so she suggested the bus. I did a little more research and leanred that I could go directly from the stop a few blocks away right to the front door of the courthouse. Not too bad. (And it would be free!).
So, I checked the schedule, made a plan and headed to the bus stop at 7:15 this morning.
To be honest, I was a little nervous. But I was just a commuter. No big deal.
The bus I needed to take was packed. There was no place to move and I had to stand the whole ride to 3rd and James (25 minutes). And of course, the smelliest dude EVER chose (or was shoved) right into me and just stayed put. Sadly, I could not go anywhere further. Ugh. So I had to stand there and try desperately not to throw up.
I arrived at my destination on time and breathed a huge breath of fresh air before spending most of the sunny day inside a court building. (I'll share more about that another day...)
At day's end, back to bus I went. This time there was space on the bus. I could sit.
There was also space for everyone to have their own row.
But I appartently look warm and inviting, so the sketchiest woman on the bus sat right next to me and started to talk to me. I swear I NEVER made eye contact.
Luckily she got off the bus where the free zone ended and the rest of the commute was weirdo free.
I am impressed by the system here, but still have some reservations. I attract weirdos. Weirdos ride public transit (airplanes included). Typically whenever possible, I avoid putting myself in these situations.
But I report again tomorrow and will do the whole thing once again. We'll see if it gets any better...

No comments:

Post a Comment