Thursday, October 3, 2013

the end of the year

Since I have been a tad busy getting settled, drving to and from work, moving a few times, traveling to New York, helping some friends, and most importantly chatting with my various housemates, I have not been as good about updating the blog. Prorities.
But I have missed writing my thoughts and feelings and observations in all of this change and adventure. There has been so much to take in- good things and some sad.

The last few weeks in DC/Maryland were hectic. I was trying to pull together an event in three weeks time that I normally spend months planning. I felt immense pressure to pass it off as done as humanly possible. My last day was extended due to that, which I was just fine with. It allowed me time to put all these big changes away for just a little more time. I am exceptional at compartmetalizing. It's how I deal well with crisis. I focus on the issue at hand and fall apart afterward. So the last week was filled with meetings, outings, saying goodbye. I got a little teary but more than anything I was focused on the task at hand. And then came Friday and packaging up my laptop to be sent back. And a lunch with a friend. And it hit me. Literally took my breath away, for just a second. I was leaving a city I'd mastered and learned to love in a year of getting beat-up. I was leaving a job I'd had for almost ten years and one I still liked. I was leaving behind almost my whole career. And I was picking up to move to a new city and start a new job in two days. Whoa. deep breaths.

As I was headed back to the little ladies for one last sleepover at their house and one last night with one of my all-time favorite housemates (no offense to anyone else!), I got so sad. Not because I was scared of the decision I'd made, but sad to leave such a special year behind. In that year, I'd conquered a city. I'd fallen deeply in love with my favorite little people. I'd learned how fast and deep a friendship can grow.I'd learned what I am made of. I really learned how very lucky I am. And I was humbled by the love I have been shown.

Saturday, in Ferd Schulte fashion (meaning really early), I got up and started the adventure. I had one last infusion treatment(because why wouldn't that be the case) and then I hit the road and headed toward the mitten. I had a 9 hour drive through the hills and highways. A mix of good music and time alone --jobless (for 2 days) and homeless. I got home and relished in the large sized bed (I had been sleeping in a 3/4 bed-- short and fat twin bed, really) and got excited that I could sleep in on Sunday. finally. ;)

Sunday I got up and attem- hit up a coffee and bagel place and headed toward Chicago in the rain. My moves tend to have the background of rain, I tak it as a positive sign. Like the planet is cleansing me of the old so I can start fresh and new or something. (wow, that was really hippy dippy! But I'm sticking with it.)

I got to my new temporary home, knocked and was immediately welcomed with squeals of delight from the other side of the door. So cute and perfect.
I unloaded (with the help of my new housemates), got the tour and the favorite books orientation, then had a homecooked dinner. The adults shared tips for getting to the office the next day and we talked about grown up things.
And Monday I started my job.

We'll end the story there for now.

DC friends Goodbye bar crawl.
C and Mags on our "ice cream for breakfast date"
Sammie and Erica




the packed car


the new roomies




 

No comments:

Post a Comment