Saturday, August 28, 2010

Date Night

Today, I decided to take myself on a date. Yep, that's right! single gal in the city, enjoying some time alone. And it was delightful. Really, it started out just as a movie, but became the quintessential Saturday date night.
When I first moved to Phoenix and didn't know anyone, I always felt like I was missing out because I never saw the movies that played in theatres. Until one day, I thought to myself, "I am a grown-up and I am confident. I can go to a movie alone." I did it then and realized sometimes it's just nice to have an afternoon alone (even when other people might be interested). It's nice to be in a theatre and enjoy the movie. On the other hand, there are great things to be said for going with a friend. It was sunny, but chilly in Seattle today. Not a great day to head to the beach, or go paddle-boarding, or even hanging out at a park with a good book. So, I decided to go check out, "Eat, Pray, Love". I loved the book and thought the movie could be fun. I was right. Enjoyable. Even if you haven't read the book, you'll appreciate the story. While entertaining, it was a bit on the long side. (2.5 hours to be exact). It didn't feel that long, but afterward I was starving! (No popcorn for dinner when you have braces, I am sad to say.)

I decided to go to dinner. Not pick something up and take it home, but really go out to dinner alone. Now, outside of when I travel for work I don't normally eat alone. The idea of eating alone at a restaurant makes me uneasy. Asking for a table for one when I am "home", just seems sad and a little pathetic. But there was an amazing review of a sushi place in the paper today and it peaked my interest. And it was "old lady" dinner time (5:45pm) so I knew there wouldn't be a huge line. So I went. And it was GREAT! The food was delish! The service incredible. Oh, and I got a free roll because they were experimenting--Love it! I never once felt uncomfortable or uneasy. No one was staring at me. I didn't feel any pity coming my way. Instead I felt like a woman about town- sophisticated and cool. No one needs to know that my big evening plan was to go to Target. They could assume and make up a story that I was going to head to some big party and tell all the people there about the great new sushi place in Seattle. (which will happen at brunch tomorrow with the girls).


Oh, and I went to Target. What's not to love? (Someday I will explain my extreme love for that big box store.) All-in-all, my "date night" was great. I enjoyed a good movie and a yummy dinner. I had a good time and I think I will definately do it again sometime!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As an aside---

When recently trying to answer some questions about my city for a friend's blog (http://lettersandlists.blogspot.com/), I realized I do not know nearly enough about the place I now call home. So with that in mind, I have decided that I will become a tourist in my town and check out something new and interesting about Seattle on weekends that I am home. It'll be home-town adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment