Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The M&M experiment


Today while picking up a fountain soda at the local 7-11 (it was a dreary day and additional caffeine was called for...don't judge me), there was a Buy 2, Get 1 Free deal on M&M's. Normally, I wouldn't even glance at this "sale", but they featured the new M&M flavors--coconut and pretzel. I was intrigued. I decided an M&M Tasting (or Experiement) was needed to determine if these new flavors could stand up to the classics- plain and peanut. The "free" bag was a plain bag for comparison sake.
Now, I am not a daily chocolate person (like others I know and love) but do enjoy a sweet and sugary pick-me-up when needed! A dear friend once noted that the combo of a Coke & plan M&M's was like the equivolent of crack for real people. On an event, I have been known to make an M&M run for the necessary suagr that one can require when staying awake for 20 hours, three days in a row. The peanut-butter variety is my current favorite because they are soft and teeth covered in metal need a little soft. That said, I still don't deem the peanut-butter a "real" M&M. It was a successful experiment that I very much enjoy.
So, back to the story. I left the 7-11 with the soda and the three mini-bags of M&M's. (It's a fat kid dream and a nutrionist's nightmare.) So, I got home and got the "tasting" ready- 3 of each type and a glass of water. First, the pretzel (Mostly, because I think the commercials are kind of fun), sip of water; then the coconut; sip of water; and lastly the plain.
My notes--The Pretzel M&M was okay. A little salty-sweet. Not terrible, but I am not rushing back for more. And in the future if I am craving a salty-sweet chocolate snack, I'll get chocoltae covered pretzels from Trader Joes (YUMMY!).
The Coconut M&M was not bad, but didn't quite make it to okay status. The coconut inside the M&M was hard. In my opinion, coconut inside a candy should be ooey-gooey and chewey, not hard. It should be noted that I heart coconut candy. (I actually love eating those pink, white, and brown coconut candies that no one else will ever eat...LOVE them! )
So, there it is. The Great M&M experiment.
My final conclusion: M&M's should stick to what they know-- chocolate and peanuts. Feel free to experiment on your own, it'll make your to-do list shrink almost instantly because you are so amped up (or that could be just me)!

No comments:

Post a Comment