Monday, October 4, 2010

Nike and friend

While traveling, I often eat alone. This used to bother me and I would bring work to the table, continuously check my iphone or other gadget and be busy. After many meals, I have realized that I need to take time-outs when I work from the road and need to eat-- so it's a win-win. I eat and enjoy some people- watching!
Today I went to enjoy a salad at one of my favorite taco chains WAY after normal people lunch time. There was only one other customer in the establishment and she was seated far, far away from me. As I was sitting there, she was talking. Now with the advent of the bluetooth, I have had a harder time distinquishing if people are talking to themselves or if someone else is on the line. Well, in this case I just kept watching and still couldn't figure it out. Sentences seemed clear and concise and she continued to look in the same directions with hand gestures and inflection on phrases. (she was also very clean and neat looking). So I concluded that she was, in fact, having a conversation with someone other than herself. Well, shortly after that assumption was made, she got up and as I am sure you can surmise there was no bluetooth....girl was straight up talking to herself! Or so I thought... As the conversation continued (and got a little more heated), she was making her way across the restaurant. Of course, she stopped at my table and said hello. I casually said hello in return and then she introduced me to her "friend", Nike. I am not kidding. Nike. Awesome. (PS- there was not another person there. This was her imaginary friend.) How does one respond in this situation? Well, if you are me and unusual things happen often, you take it in stride and say hello to Nike and ask how the day is going. Well, the woman answered for Nike and the day was going fine. Then she proceeded to tell me their fight was about whether they should take the bus or take a walk downtown. (The rain had thrown them for a loop.) Then she walked away and told me to have a nice day. (Oh and Nike too!)
So in the spirit of my new pals--Have a nice day!

Now as a sidenote- I have nothing against the idea of an imaginary friend. They are said to be signs of intelligence in little kids. In fact, I had them when I was little (In addition to my other real friends.) Their names were Poppy and Hexon (per my mom). I don't really remember them, but have heard me speak of them on tapes from when I was 3 or so. What should be noted here is that my imaginary pals were the concept of a smart little kid with a vivid imagination. Maybe the same should be said for my pal at Qdoba....

No comments:

Post a Comment