Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Suitcase adventures


Yesterday I flew back from Phoenix after a long week in town. It was a productive week of work on my project and then a fun and busy weekend of helping a friend with hers. I am not sure how much help I offered, but I was there (and it was fun to work on a smaller event).

That said, I had event hangover. I was tired, I was hungry and food and sleep came first as a priority for the day. we slept a little later and took a little longer than I should have for a 1:35pm flight. I was rushing (and way more than normal) with a slow-moving body. But as an elite status member on the airline, I figured I would be okay if I arrived 35 minutes before the flight. Well, I went to check-in and had to check-in with everyone else! (I was flying US Airways on a Monday, so I couldn't get an upgrade. (sad). As someone said (not me), I was seated with the peons.) The screen flashed-- your flight leaves in 40 minutes, see a gate agent. (AHH!). From there, I went to the line, where I had to wait for 7 minutes. (in the meantime, I had a lovely conversation with the man in front of me.) I got to the gate agent and she wasn't even sure if I could check-in for the flight because it was 33 minutes before take-off. She checked me in and told me it was likely my luggage would come in on a later flight. I didn't care. So, I left running toward the gate (because of course it was the furthest gate from the check-in area that it could be). I arrived at the gate, sweating (awesome) and boarded the plane as she was about to call my name (again, awesome). Upon arrival, I had to check in with the baggage folks about my bag. The bag agent (whom I have dealt with before), told me my bag would arrive on my flight and to wait for the last bags to arrive. So, I waited and guess what? It was not on the flight (as I was told in Phoenix). I went back to the bag agent who again, told me it should be on that flight. When I told her it was not, in fact on the carosel, she looked for me (becuase clearly I would make that up). When she confirmed that it was not there, she finally looked up the bag. Turns out, the bag went to Philadelphia. I confirmed it would someday make it back to me in Seattle and went home.

This morning (at 7am), I got a call that the bag would arrive on the 11:35 flight from Phoenix. The bag travled to Philly, then to Austin, TX back to Phoenix and then onto Seattle, where it would be awaiting pick-up. I am glad it will be returned, but kind of wish it had had a better adventure than it did. No vacation inspiration from Philly and Austin (although both are places I have not been and would like to go).

No comments:

Post a Comment