Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Big move.

By now, mostly everyone knows the news of late in my world.
I am moving to Washington, DC.
It's not earth-shattering, but to some it was quite surprising. If you are an avid reader of this blog (when I actually keep up with it...) many, many, many of my posts over the last two years have touted the wonderousness of my beloved Seattle.
It's true. I love it here.
The Pacific Nowthwest has such an awesome vibe. Recently it was named as one of America's coolest cities with the hipster crowd. I agree. But I am not a hipster. Though I can appreciate their quirk.
But more than being filled with the "coolest" people in America (because let's be honest, I really only know a handful of people here...really.) The Pacific Northwest (PNW for those in the know) is filled with some of the most beautiful scenary I have ever seen in my life. Between the mountains, the greenery and the water, you cannot ask for much else. I will forever be in awe of the mountains. My midwest heart still finds them wonderous. And again, how a 14,000 ft mountain can just appear as if out of nowhere will forever baffle and delight me. The proximity to so much water does bring my inner-fishy significant joy and comfort. Add in the fishing boats and the character that seems to ooze out of every neighborhood and you have a rather lovable place. At least for a wanna-be cool kid like me. ;) But as a wise person once said, You can love a place with your whole being and still be totally fine living someplace else. I agree! Seattle and the rest of the PNW (Junea, AK included) will forever take up space in my heart as part of the great loves of my life. It will always be a part of me and will remain one of the best decisions of my life to live here.

But it's time for a new opportunity. This great change came about somewhat surprisingly (even to me), but it makes sense. It feels right. And I am excited.
Yes, I will absolutely miss the friends, the sceneray, the temperate weather, and the comforts of a not-so-challenging job. Absolutely. And if I said I wouldn't miss that stuff, you might as well call me Pinoccio. But what lies ahead is great.
Being in the nation's capitol. Cool. Free museums. History. And on and on.
Add in the closeness of favorites.
And then the proximity to my family.
Plus, the challenges of a new-ish job.
It's good. Really good.
The next few weeks will be crazy. For real crazy. Packing. Spending time in my favorite places, absorbing as much of the PNW as I can before I move away. Packing. Busy with friends, soaking up as much of them as I can before I am on the whole opposite coast. Moving. Putting the pieces in place for the folks who are taking on my current work projects so they have an easy job ahead of them. Completing my program at the UW. Finding a place to live. Learning a new city. Determining which neighborhood will suit me best and easily compare to my beloved Fremont. (Though where else in the world do you have a Troll for a neighbor?!)
It's the quirk that makes Seattle special. It's te quirk that makes it cool.
It's the quirk that I will miss the most.
But I suspect that the Nation's Capitol will have it's own quirkiness to love.
And I am 100% sure that I will fall in love with it there, too.
One never knows when roots will plant firmly into the ground, but for a few years (at least) I think this is a great adevnture!
So, cheers to the old. And cheers to the new.
Here's to happiness all around!

No comments:

Post a Comment