Saturday, April 28, 2012

No longer just an inner old lady.

Today, for the first time since turning 30, I felt old. Like really old. I mean, super duper old. And not like when I talk about my inner old lady, cause let's be honest that's a choice rather than an age thing.
No, this was a "damn" moment. When you stop and think about the way you look and maybe even feel a little bad about yourself. Humph!
So, here's the story. I was out running some errands and had a gift card that was going to expire at the GAP.  I didn't think I was going shopping when I left the house, I only intended on going to the Uhaul store for some packing supplies, but then I fgured today was as good a day as any to pop over and see what I could snag (fingers crossed with the gift card, it would be free!). I wore casual grubbs to the Uhaul place, I mean come on I was going to pack some boxes. I was going to get dirty and I frankly was not going to get gussied up for the dudes at the Uhaul store. I took a shower. I had on clean clothes. Probably better than most, I'd say. Anyway, there I was at the GAP sans makeup and maybe a little grubby looking---tshirt and jeans, hair in a pony. Ultimately,  I did not find anything for myself, but found cute outfits for my munchkins. (I heart that kids clothes is so cheap! Obvs not when you are buying it all the time, but for this auntie it always feels like such a bargain!). I picked up the two items (which I am happy to say ended being free with the card!) and was checking out.
The friendly 16-year old cashier asked the ever popualr. "oh, do you have just girls?".
I said, "no, these are for my god-daughters" (while not 100% true it's better than saying for my cousins girls or saying nieces when that's not right either.).
And she replied, "Oh for your grand-daughters". That's so nice." She then proceeded to explain all the great things her grandmother bought for her as a kid.
I had no words and kind of just stared at her. Most likely with a raised eyebrow and my jaw on the floor. But no words. And kind of wanted to punch her in the face. I did not. I didn't even say anything as I walked out the door.

Yeah. That really happened.
I am 32.
And yes, I do have a fairly large wrinkle in between my eyebrows (I blame my dad for genetics on that one.)
But on no planet do I look like any grandmother I have ever known. I guess in some world's, I could have had a baby super young and then that baby grew up and had a baby super young (which makes me sad that that happens). But come on!
Like I said at the beginning of the tale, today I really felt old.

Anyone know any good botox docs?! ;)
Just kidding! (well, kind of....)

No comments:

Post a Comment