Monday, February 4, 2013

Stalker turned Baker?

 
 
There are moments in my job where i really think a trained monkey could take over for awhile and I could go drink beverages with umbrellas on a beach some place. One of those moments happens to be right now. And not just this second, but in general since December really. There have been some intense moments, but for the most part I am in flux. Waiting to hear back from a site. Waiting to hear about the direction the client would like to go. In general, I am waiting.
While waiting there isn't a whole lot I can do. It's a delicate balance of working too much in one direction only to be told at a later date that the other direction is where we need to head. While I never mind working hard, in this case, to do too much work is a waste of time. During this phase, I spend an awful lot of time on the phone and on hold. Waiting.
Since there is little I can accomplish during the 5 minutes I am on hold, I have a handy list of websites, blogs and quick reads to entertain me (but not take away my focus) until the person I am waiting for finally picks up. I have found some really fabuoous ides, places, and things along the way while on hold. That's fun, I guess. But if I'm really being honest, I'd rather just have answers and stop waiting! That is not realistic, so in the meantime I wait. (and stalk.)
Because I live (and plan events) in DC, the world revolves around the schedules of the important people and events taking place. Unfortunately, I am not that important person. I fall way down on the list of priorities. Thus, my other talent in the last few months has been to become a professional stalker. I mean, seriously. I even have a schedule of when and how I reconnect with a person I need to talk with. No joke.

My life in a nutshell-- waiting and stalking.
I guess, really, the two talents should go hand in hand. As any good stalker knows, patience is essential. Patience and something for the stalkee (is that even a word? I don't think so, but I like it, so we'll go with it.). So, as I was saying, something for the stalkee to recall them and want to talk with them. I am convinced I will win with handwritten thank you notes and homemade baked goods.
 
S'more brownies and Crack (golden graham s'more bars). Yum!
With that in mind, once I finally settled on a meeting date with an important contact (after her important role in the Inauguration, of course.), I determined I would bring her baked goods. A not-so-subtle bribe just to remember me and put at the top of the call back list for the next time.
Yeah, that seems like an awesome plan. Until you leave the treats on the kitchen counter. Whoops.
My fellow stalkers just shook their heads in shame. Sad.
 
And now circling back to where we started- my time waiting and checking out blogs...today, while on hold I checked out a new favorite and what should the topic be, but brownies and stalking. Check it out-- http://melssweetlife.com/. My favorite line:  if you ever find yourself in a stalking situation, don’t forget to bring baked goods.
 
I could not have said it better myself! Which I guess means, I may need to take some baking courses to improve my odds of success. I guess there could be worse things in life! ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment