Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow in the south

Ok, so I'm still not 100% sure that DC is actually in "the south". I guess perhaps my idea of the south is what I should refer to as the deep south-- Georgia, Mississippi, etc. I do technically live below the Mason-Dixon line and people in Maryland did actually have slaves. (That's where Harriett Tubman escaped from-- your fun historical fact for the day). I'm not sure why but I definately put slace-owner locations into "the south". So, yeah, I guess after some thought DC is "the south".
Either way, there are seasons here. Yes, winter is more mild than say in Michigan or Minnesota, but there is still a need for a wool coat in winter months. Not everyday, but many days between November and February (winter). There is definately a summer (shrouded in muggy, hot temps), and then fall where there are warm afternoons and crisp evenings. After living in AZ for so many years, the idea of fall is still so heart-wamring to me. I love the smells and tastes of fall veggies. And I absolutey LOVE that fall meant the end of ridiculous sweating when taking out the trash. I have not yet experienced spring in full wing but I can only imagine that when the Cherry Blossoms bloom, it will smell yummy! Already, the daffodils are poking up in the yard---delightful.
But this week (one week from my birthday--always), it is snowing. It is winter's last fight to produce "winter" like everyone obsesses over. They've been talking about this storm for over a week. Calling it things like Snowmeggeton, & snowquestration ( a joke referencing the current news at the Capitol). And with the hype and people's insane worries about snow only increased, locals are freaking out. (My landlord included). He popped by yesterday and made sure I had everything I'd need for a few days without access outside. Um?!
I appreciate the preparation by everyone around me. I did go and buy some ice melt yesterday to take care of the stairs into my place, but seriously there is not a huge need for panic. By tomorrow afternoon, it is supposed to be in high-40s. The snow will be melted by Saturday and give way to spring. That is, if any of it actually sticks. As of now, it has completely turned to rain in my neighborhood. The melting has already begun.
I'm not saying other places further north and west have snow, but in DC, there was no need for panic.
Maybe that's the Michigan girl talking, but really, I just don't get the panic.

No comments:

Post a Comment