Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Just a Girl and her car...

I am rethinking the name of this blog lately. It seems all my recent travel adventures are in my car- alone. Maybe rename the blog-- Just a Girl and Her Car? Well, I'll keep thinking on that and will keep you posted. In the meantime, here's the latest update on travel adventures and lesson- learned about living in the Pacific Northwest.

This past weekend, I thought I would take a quick trip to Bend, OR to see my old, dear friends before they go back to their summer home in Juneau, AK. Now, since I am still learning about this neck of the woods, I checked mapquest and saw that I had to drive directly through Portland, OR to get there. I have some great pals in Portland that I definately do not see often enough, so decided to break up the 6 hour drive and make some plans with them for Sunday night and into Monday (for a work date day).

The roadtrip was going well- decent weather (read: not rainy*), good tunes, and the open road. I don't know what it is about driving on an open road listening to amazing music that makes my heart so happy. I stopped for a FOFFEE**, and was delighted to see the things I was going to see once I passed through Portland (up to Portland, it's just a highway, kind of gross and not scenic). As I was approaching the area where the city gives way to trees, small towns, and countryside, the clouds were getting a little darker. And as I drove to higher elevation- the skies opened up a little with some rain and then hail. I was still not deterred- what's a little rain and hail? Really? (remember this whole mountain thing is new to me).

Then some cars were coming westbound with some snow on them- not every car but most of them. The skies were getting a little darker and the mountain that I could kind of see earlier, I could no longer see at all. At this point, there was a little feeling, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then I passed a place that sold snow tires and chains. And then another, and another one further down the road. So, I got a little nervous and then saw the flashing sign- Chains or Snow Tires REQUIRED 6 miles ahead. Now, as a person new to this whole mountain travel thing I did wonder how important that REALLY was. There was a brief moment of pause thinking I could get through, I know how to drive in snow. Then the voice of reason kicked in and I stopped. I might have snow tires, but I should check just to be sure. I looked and had NO clue, so called the two people I just knew would know (my papa and the dude). Of course, neither picked up. Then I called two others who might know and they didn't pick up either. So, I sucked it up and went into the little store.

The men running the store were clearly annoyed by my stupidity.

Q: Who doesn't check the mountina report before heading down from Seattle? A: A girl who doesn't know there is a mountain between her and her destination (I didn't actually admit that at first.)

Q: What kind of tires do you have? A: Well, two are new. I don't know how to tell if they are snow tires or not.

Q( well, more commandment): Go and look for a little snowflake on the tire. A: OK (I checked and obvs did not have a snowflake or anything other than a serial number on the tires).

Q: What size chains do you need? A: Um, I grew up far from mountains and have lived in AZ for six years. I don't know how this works.

Tweedle Dee (nice counter guy): Let me get out there and see what we can do.

Tweedle Dum (not-so-nice counter guy): She can fiugre it out herself.

Me: Um, okay?

Dee: She's from Arizona, she needs help.

Dum: (rolling his eyes) Fine, but this is the last stupid motorist we are helping today. People should be prepared.

Me: Sir, I hear you and am sorry. My dad would be appalled that I wasn't aware of all this, but I promise next time I will know better and will be prepared or cancel the trip. Honestly, I didn't even know there was a mountain pass involved. I'm sorry.

Well, apparently, the divulgence of the lack of mountain pass knowledge was what he needed to hear because he just started to laugh and was like, "oh honey- we'll get you all set up. Don't you worry".

Really, dude? 5 minutes ago you were ready to throw me out of the store. (I really didn't say that, but wanted to).

They fitted the tires, but didn't have any in stock. Long story short: 4 stores later- no one had the right ones in stock.

By the time the adventure was over an hour at passed and there were at least 2 inches of snow had fallen! (Definately explained all the cars with snow headed westward!) I had to get the hell out of there. So, Portland became Plan B. Thanks to some good friends who work on an impromptu schedule I had an enjoyable evening and an even more enjoyable brunch (My favorite meal!).

So, the lessons learned on this one--

1- Before any trip out of the Seattle area, check for mountains and mountain passes.

2- Like any good Michigander knows--pack for all kinds of weather, even in the springtime!

3- Have a plan B in mind...just in case.

Good thing the next trip is on an airplane.


*Fun Fact (or not so much): I learned last night that of the lasy 90 days, only 20 were partly cloudy and/or fair. Yep, that means 70 days were cloudy, rainy, or stormy. Ugh! I need a reminder of why I live here again. Yikes, that is a lot of rain, cold and wet.

**Foffee is a term my friend's daughter coined when seeing her get an afternoon coffee ready. So afternoons coffees have since been known as "FOFFEE". Really, it's just fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment