Monday, April 11, 2011

Ten Years


This past weekend I was able to join a group of friends for a Las Vegas Birthday celebration. We had a great time and surprised the birthday girl (which is hard for 10 people to pull off!). There were drinks and laughs and some gambling (mostly on the penny machines). But with all the fun, I also realized 21 was a long time ago!

My 21-year-old self would have been very sad to see that I did not consume gallons of alcohol and dance on bars and wear high heels and fancy clothes. Rather I enjoyed a beverage or two, played some penny slots and laughed with a group of friends over meals. My 31-year-old self is quite content with the weekend and the activities that ensued but my 21-year-ol self would be sad. I used to hang with the best of them- we even made an after after-hours bar in our basement, every bartender knew us (and liked us). We (I) was the life of the party.

Ten years doesn't seem that long ago, but it really is. To think about behaving as my 21-year-old self is crazy to me. I had an incredible experience at that age and wouldn't trade any of it, but I would not change who I have become. I enjoy the trade-in of high heels for comfortable shoes, late-nights out in loud bars for laughs over amazing food and waking up with a hangover for super fun weekend brunches. Now that is not to say, I can't fire up every once in awhile because I definately can. But I have to say I like enjoying a good meal with good friends and good conversation much more than I like screaming to hear a comment in a club whist wearing uncomfortable (albeit super cute) shoes.

And if that makes me old--bring it!

All I can think is, "Oh, what a difference ten years makes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment