Wednesday, June 8, 2011

a good reminder.




Today I had the pleasure of catching up with an old friend. We live far apart and have for a few years now. I only get to see her on a rare occassion when she appears on one of my events or when our company hosts an all-company meeting.


When we first met and began to work together, I have to be honest, I was a little concerned. She was going to be replacing one of my favorite people ever, so I was a little skeptical. How could this woman be as great as the the person before her? Well, my first impression was off- WAY off! She turned out to be one of the kindest, most generous, wise and beautiful people I have ever known. She welcomed all of us with open arms into her home, into her family and into her giving heart. She often hosted meals for work, which always resulted in lots of laughter and maybe a glass of wine in the afternoon! ;) When her family moved, she and her love followed them so they could be close to grandbabies. They needed to follow their hearts. It makes sense. Family is everything to them.


Well, today she shared two of their miracles with me- a new baby and new senses! Two miracles- different and profound each in their own right. My heart swelled for her when I heard the news a new baby was to arrive this year. And it burst with happiness while tears sprang to my eyes when she shared the news about the ears. It was the kind of the news that can make even the darkest day bright again. You see her love had lost his hearing years ago in an accident. Initially, he could hear some things but as the years progressed so did the hearing loss. They learned to communicate in their own ways, but once the grandprice arrived, her love could not hear the baby's cries. That meant he couldn't stay alone with the babe, another adult always had to be there. It broke all of their hearts. They researched and checked and calculated risks and made the difficult decision to do surgery to add an implant. And her love finally had a date with the grandprince. The first in his four years.


Most people would take for granted a day spent listening to a rambling little one. Some might even get annoyed. But to this woman's love, I can only imagine it was the best day ever! He could finally hear the sweet giggle that accompanied the bright smiling face and hear the funny things said that made others surrounding them laugh.


To me, that is a miracle of infinite proportions! It's an irreplacble memory and a great reminder to not take the little things in life for granted. I can't imagine not being able to hear my dad's whitsle, my mom's laugh, or any of the other incredible sounds that mean love in my life.


Thank you, my sweet friend for sharing the miracles in your life with me. It made my week!


No comments:

Post a Comment