Friday, June 24, 2011

To pack or not to pack...



Ugh. Today I am packing and unpacking a bag in the same day. And that means laundry and organizing and re-evaluating the need for a traveling girl to have so many clothing items. I mean, my bag is still full of dirty garments from Phoenix and my closet is still full of clean and lovely things. I just got back Tuesday and have had a full work and social calendar so have not had lots of extra time to unpack and launder things. Plus, I was not home during the day to do laundry while working due to massive boulder crushing next door (wish I was kidding). So, today was the day. I unpacked and started to do laundry because I need to pack everything back up for my next adventure that starts at 7am tomorrow. (Note that it is 5:30pm...)


Anyway, as I started to say above before my lovely tangent, I realized just how many clothes I have. I could pack a different suitcase full of clean things and not even unpack the PHX bag. I mean none of my favorites would be packed, but I wouldn't be naked (or in ugly clothes). But, I will do laundry and re-pack the good stuff, the favorites and be a happy (well-dressed) traveler.


While starting this thought process, I also realize I have a love- hate relationship with my suitcase. I love it when I am taking a new adventure and am putting fun, exciting items inside to visit a new land or come home after a wonderful adventure. I hate it when there doesn't seem to be enough space for all the items I just might need during a 3 week trip, or when it's full of dirty items from weeks on the road. I do love that I have leanred to live with just a few items and can literally live out of bags for weeks (my office included). It really makes me think about the number of things I own (and really need for that matter). Is it that I just make do on the road or that I am over-indulged in my home life? Really, I think it's a combo of both. When I travel, I do live without certain comforts of everyday life. It's just part of the deal. And at home, I have all my basic needs met and maybe indulge in some extras. I feel lucky that I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment