Tuesday, November 13, 2012

It's not just me.



So, as life has slowed down a bit, I have started to realize (again) that I need to make some friends here. Now understand, this is not a new thing. Nor does it mean that I don't have people here in DC. It is simply a reflection of what I believe to be a phenomenon of a single adult. You just don't have that person to go anywhere with. Coupled people will not understand this as you have a built in buddy (whether they go with you places or not every time you want to go is TBD, but then you can fill the gaps with a friend-- insert single fun friend here). But when you're home on a Friday night watching a movie with said buddy, the fun, single pal is probably at home, alone, doing the same thing. By no means is this meant to evoke pity! Not at all.
What I'm saying is that sometimes in life, you just need a buddy.
A person who you can count on (9 out of 10 times) to do whatever it is you wanted to do and vice versa.
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy time alone. Being home. Out. I'm good being by myself. And I am more than happy to take adventures on my own. But this weekend I missed having a person. A pal.
I went to my first museum this weekend since moving here (don't judge, I've been busy). It was great. I enjoyed learning and totally enjoyed the experience. But I missed having a buddy to say- "hey, look at this!". Or "did you know that?". And then on Sunday, I found myself at the mall looking for a new winter coat (as I have "fatted" out of my favorite one...ugh). While looking, I found two coats and could not decide between the two. I needed a second opinion. I needed a pal.
In Phoenix, I was totally spoiled. My HLP lives there. And she was my go-to gal! To do anything or nothing. It was nice to know there was always someone to do something with.
Then when I got to Seattle, I had some solid built-in buddies (a dear college friend, a really good work friend and then the extras). Not quite the same as the HLP, but filled the void for sure. And then I started classes where I met a bunch of really good like-minded people.
And then I moved.
I have an amazing built-in connection (E and her family). And they include me in all kinds of awesomeness, but I am missing that go-to pal. That person for impromptu fun and nothingness.
And sometimes that makes me feel bad about myself. Like I am a loser with no friends. (I do know this is not true, but sometimes we all have that moment of self doubt.) And this weekend I just had a moment or two of that.
Then this morning, while waiting on hold (45 minutes....), I came across this awesome article on a blog-- Why Is it Hard to make friends after 30?

So, it's not just me. Whew!
Loser moment over for now.
And although the article did make me feel a little better about the situation, it still doesn't mean that I don't need to continue to do things and try to meet people. Even if it's filler friends.


No comments:

Post a Comment