Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Rock the Vote.

Today is election day.
I feel like this one has been an intense one compared to elections I have been part of in the past. It may be the area of the country in which I live now, or that I am paying more attention or that it really is more intense (and polarizing) than any other in the recent past.
Honestly with all the negative election ads I am just ready for this stuff to be over. Let the cards fall where they may. People have the right and privledge to make the decision they feel is best for them and for the country. Whether each of our votes counts I am still not actually sure (electoral colleges and such being what they are), but I still registaered to vote and went to the polling place this morning.
As I walked over, the streets up to the polling location were lined with signs and people trying to convince me to vote for their beliefs as I walked in the door. First, do you really think someone can be swayed as they walk in the door to the polling place? And second, if I'm on the fence do you really think yelling at me as I walk past you is the way to get me to agree?  I don't care what your beliefs are yelling is not the way to evoke change in anything.
I got into the building and proceeded to get into line. I was lucky enough to go at an "off" time so the line was no more than 50 people and seemed to be moving quickly. But I am amazed at the ancient nature of the system. People get into line by last name and wait to be "checked" in. I didn't need any form of ID or my voter card (which shocked me!). I just needed to confirm my mailing address with the very old (and a little blind) volunteer. She gave me a piece of paper and told me to then go to the paper line or the electronic line. At my voting place there was only one electronic machine. I decided to go with what I figured to be the more efficient route and went toward the electronic machine.
As I walked over there, thinking about all the ways the process should be made to be more efficient. I mean, make the best of people's precious time. It's 2012, we can do better. Frankly, I was a little more than annoyed with the voting process until that point--being yelled at, being herded, etc.
Then I sat down to wait my turn to vote using the electronic machine. We lined up (like in elementary school-- thanks, Mrs Burke for teaching me how to stand in line!). A woman walked up and had the hugest grin on her face. Literally she was a little bit like a light bulb. She got her little card and beamed. I smiled back and she just started to gush her story...
She moved here 10 years for a better education. She just gained official citizenship this summer. She has never been given the chance to vote for anything (because she was a girl!).
She was so excited. The yelling, the ancient system--none of it mattered to her because for the first time ever her voice counted. It is something I take for granted (and would guess most other people do too).
In the midst of the crazy and polarization I think the power of a single voice has been lost. It was such a privledge to be present to see this woman vote. I, along with a few others, waited for her to vote and then clapped for her when she was complete. I sort of wish I would have taken her picture.
That woman made me remember that no matter what our beliefs we are so lucky to live in a place where we can voice them-- no matter our color, gender, sexuality-- we all get a say (once we're 18, of course!).
Today, I was very proud to be an American.





1 comment:

  1. My lady was old and a little blind, very deaf too! I had to yell my name at her which seemed a little awkward. And you have electronic machines - must be the BIG city. We just get sharpies up here. I guess I should be happy its not coal ;) I cant believe we dont have to show ID - it drives me crazy! I keep waiting to show up one time and already have my name checked off. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete