Monday, November 5, 2012

So this means goodbye.

About 5 minutes ago, my Arizona event week reminder popped up onto my computer screen. I was just making some maps and focusing and it rudely interrupted my thought process.
I set those reminders at the beginning of each year, so I know even at a speedy glance that it's that week and had completely forgotten to remove it.
After that reminder popped up, I got lost for a few minutes in memories. This will be the first year since 2004 that I have not been part of the Arizona event. It will be the first year since 2005 that I have not planned the route, sites, and walker experience. I had a hand in helping, but it was definately all done by the new person. And that makes me a little sad and nostalgic. Twice this weekend people have asked me if I have regretted my move to DC. Before I answer this, let me first say, I think this is quite possibly the worst question to ever ask someone. I mean, really? What if instead of my answer of no, I responded with "yes, it was the worst choice I have ever made!". I mean, what then? Seriously? For future reference, if you ever consider asking someone that question, reconsider and ask instead. "are you happy with your decision?". That leaves less room for weird feelings, I swear. And before I move on, the answer to that question is no I do not regret my decision. In fact, I don't regret any decision. I think things through (though it may seem sudden to someone else, but believe me I am not a rash decision maker.). I am happy with my decision. The only thing I really miss are my people. But I miss people all over. And have airline points to get a plane ticket for a visit this winter.
So, now that I've shared my wisdom, let's get back to the topic at hand. The Arizona event (well, sort of). One of the biggest considerations when deciding to move was not only leaving my beloved Seattle, but forgoing free trips to AZ and really, finally having to say goodbye. You see, when I left there I still made it back every few months for work trips. It was such a luxury. But moving to DC meant giving up that market and no longer having the freebie (and regular) trips to see my people there. To be honest it was one of the hardest parts of my decisions.
But here I am in DC and actually starting to live life. Making the best of the people I have here and all the amazing things there are to do. I do stay home on Friday nights sometimes and really need to get out a little more, but I felt that way in Seattle (and in Phoenix, too!). I think it's just part of being a single adult that works from home. I'll get there. Give me two years...
Again, let's get back on track....I may have had too much coffee this morning. Yikes.
So, when that little reminder popped up, a flood of memories came to mind.
The first time I met Gina, Jill and Heather. We had all just started this wacky job where we worked from home and were going to help people raise money and walk 60 miles. The first time I met them we met at Heather's house (a studio apartment) and sat on her floor. Who knew that silly first meeting would be just the start to a lifelong friendship with each one of them. Over the years, we've all left Moved on either to new places or to new jobs but have remained close. I value their friendships so much and am forever grateful for the crazy times that glued us together!
I think of Mattie D and all the crazy trips we went on together. And am reminded of the chats the rest of us had about he and Rachel being just "friends". We always KNEW they'd end up happily ever after!
I think of meeting Molly for the first time. What a night! And all the subsequent chats we've had over the years.
I am reminded of putting Buzz on a bike to caboose an event in 115 degrees. (and it still makes me laugh so hard!).
I think about Green chile cheeseburgers. (who knew something could be so delicious?!)
I think about too many trips to Sedona. So many in fact that I am now completely over that beautiful city (still all these years later).
I think of "date nights" to Oregano's. (And still might crave it a little!)
I think about all the fun people I have met (and still love very much). From my UW peeps to my roommates to the ladies and so many more.

Arizona was a huge and important chapter of my life.
The very first AZ LPT meeting.

The ladies at our first rodeo, where I solidified I wanted to be a senorita!

The event where was Buzz was on a bike.

At some random pre-event event.

on the 3-Day.

My AZ campsite.

On event.



Halloween party.

The whole AZ LPT.


The ladies from the United Way.

Buddies walking in the arthritis walk with me. :) The Flying Squirrels!


At the RFTC.

And this is the first time I really, really realized that it's really over. I am not on the event and probably won't be ever again. And while I am embracing all the good things that come with a new place and new people, a little piece of me is very, very sad to say goodbye to a place and time I loved so very much.



No comments:

Post a Comment