Friday, July 29, 2011

And just like that...

I feel I sometimes take for granted the great job that I have and the incredible work that we do (for a worthy cause). In the midst of the busy season, I sometimes forget why I do this job. I get caught up in the minutia and forget that I produce an event that makes money for a great cause. It's easy to forget that when I am convincing a guy (a jerk) that letting the event use his parking lot will not in fact be the inconvience he thinks it will be. Or when I am jumping through the 102nd hoop that a city has thrown my way just to use their sidewalk. At this time of the year, it is especially difficult to remember the big picture (if it's not an event).



And then I get a reminder that stops me in my tracks. And brings a tear to my eye. And an anxious feeling in my heart. I am reminded that all these annoyances are worth it.

I have the privelge of planning events that earn millions of dollars that get used to find a cure for a disease that takes away mothers, aunts, and friends. The money raised goes to help find medicines that help allow a young woman to not only survive a stage 4 diagnosis but thrive and enjoy a real life. Or to find links that allow a person to find out if she is genetically dispositioned. No matter what until there is a cure, whatver the answer, it is not an easy path. Either to figure out how to afford the medicines that keep the cancer away. Or to know that you have the gene that is almost guaranteed to bring cancer. But these advancements that my events have raised money for, allow a patient to have choice. And making a choice means that you have control. And to say that you have some control in the outcome is pretty darn cool.


And to know that I play a role (albeit a VERY small role) in these advancements is truly a joy (even with the annoyances and the hoop jumping.)






No comments:

Post a Comment