Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Assigned Seats?




Today was my second class.


Last week when I got to class (15 minutes early), the classroom was almost full and I was one of the last to arrive. Seats were limited, so I had to sit in the front row. I do not enjoy sitting that close. Not in class. Not at the movies. Not in a theatre. Not in church. I am a "near the back" person. Or Mezzazine. My seating choice does not mean that I don't pay attention. I simply prefer the "big picture" view. So, last week in the front row was definately not my ideal.


This week I arrived about the same time and as I walked toward the classroom I silently cursed myself for not making an earlier plan of arrival for better seating options. I walked into the room and it was practically empty. (Bonus!) I made a bee line for the back row, center aisle seat. The back row is elevated and only 4 rows back, so you're still close and are definately part of any conversation that ensues.


Since I was an early arrival, I watched as other students rolled in. And I swear almost every single person sat in the exact same seat as they did last week. After the 7th or 8th person did it, it became a little comical. Most hilarious was when the guy who was seated in my new seat walked in, made a beeline for the area and then realized that someone else was sitting in "HIS" chair. His face was priceless--a combination of shock and entitlement quickly turned into minor panic at where he would not have to seat himself. I almost felt bad enough to move. Almost.


But as I sat there, I satrted to really wonder why we are all such creatures of habit. It's kind of weird.

I know I am definately a creature of habit. I take the same roads places, even if I know it's not the most efficient route, it's just the way I always go--now it's a habit. Or how I park in the places when I pop to any store. (I used to make fun of my mom for doing the same exact thing!). But all of these habits have formed after countless ventures to the place. They definately were not formed after one visit. I just find it curious. (and a little funny).


Now I am thinking I may just mix it up every class. It might be kind of fun to see who freaks out. But as a super bonus it will allow me to figure out who the most enjoyable people are and then I can become a creature of habit and sit near them week after week. I'll keep you posted.


(I already know it will not be the guy who wears green. On day one, I knew he was the guy who would drive me bananas. Thus far, in class two, I am right on.)

No comments:

Post a Comment