Wednesday, October 12, 2011

a change of plan.

Do you have days when nothing major was supposed to happen and you planned to get a whole bunch of little things done, but then things come up to change the scope of the day? (well that was a run-on sentence...anyway) Today was that day for me. Last night I had a hard time falling asleep because my mind was full. I decided to get out of bed and make a list to try to put my mind at ease.
This morning I woke up to a very full list and had every intention of completing it. Well, a few things came up that changed the game. Some collegues needed some help. Which is no big thing. But the things they needed help with were some brainstorms and troubleshooting. As we discussed solutions to the issues, I found my stride. I was super happy for no real good reason. I was having fun.
In these very different conversations, I stepped back into my previous Manager role. It's been so long since I have used that part of my brain and my skills.
This sounds arrogant, but I was (am) good at that part of my job. I miss it. As I was trying to figure out why I was so happy about my "successful" day and yet still had a 2 page to-do list in front of me, I realized that kind of teamwork and trouble-shooting is what I miss in my current role. That part of my work really fulfilled something in me. It was fun.
It also helped to show me what exactly it is about my new (well as of last year) role that feels incomplete.
Today I was accomplished even if I still have a two page to-do list to tackle.

No comments:

Post a Comment