Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Disease: unknown

In my ever-present fight against my random disease, today I had a check in the win column. Well, sort of.
Let me explain.
I am not a passive person. I'm not mean, but have been told that I am direct and honest. I blame my parents. ;) Actually I don't think it's a bad thing. I mean sure I may have hurt some feelings here and there, but no permanant damage done. I'm generally nice, even in my bluntness.
This non-passive part of my personality plays a huge part in my disease-fighting adventure. And I call it an adevnture because it is ever-changing. You never know what's going to happen, so everyday is an adventure.
The latest as I have posted about previously, is that I've had what I will call some episodes that have basically flat-llined me for a day. And then again for another day. Days where I thought I could die because I hurt so much. Days where I could not function like a normal person of my age. Uncool.
I discussed those days with my current bone ologist and she didn't respond in a way that I felt was okay. Not knowing is okay. My disease is very hard to understand. And it's not just her. I have been called a walking science experiment more times than I care to admit and she referred to my stuff as just weird. Perplexing. Odd. None of those things is what a patient wants to hear, but it's my normal.
Following my last appointment, I made the choice to seek out another opinion. Someone new to look at all the bloodwork and the symptoms and my case. He has an incredible reputation and specializes in autoimmune conditions. Super!
As of today the old bone ologist is fired (the non-passive part of me). While she's nice, I found someone I like better. Whom I think may actually do a better job in my treatment.
Although no major changes were made and no definitive diagnosis was made- he gave me some options. And threw out some possibilities.
In fact today I found out that the wrinkles appearing around my eyes and forehead (thanks, papa!) are a good, good thing. If they weren't there he was headed down a rather sacry possible path. Score one for wrinkles!
He also checked out my Grandma Schulte knees and said while some of the shape may be genetic, there is actually something wrong. Something to fix.
And although he didn't have answers or solutions today, he provided the thing that has been missing for awhile: Hope.
Hope that a new medication may stop the degeneration of my bones.
Hope that someday there will be a morning I won't wake up stiff and swollen.
Hope that someday my normal will be more aligned with others my age.
Hope.
It's a little word that has so much meaning. A word and feeling I am glad to have back in my life.

1 comment:

  1. i am always hopeful with and for you my friend. glad to see one in the win column. i like dr. hopeful :)

    ReplyDelete