Monday, August 6, 2012

and we're over it.

(from Sunday, June 10)
Today we were up bright and early again. Ugh. I am tired and needed a slaeep-in day, but my buddy is completely on a mission. Today we were going to Algoma, WI. My dad was picking up his new truck. We were going to stay with good family friends. I was going to see people I have know (and loved) my entire life and haven't seen for years. We were out of there!

Basically, until we arrived at our destination this was just a day for driving. Nothing more. Nothing exciting or noteworthy. Just driving. (And we were getting crabby)

As were entered into Door County, the scene changed from concrete and ashpalt into pastures and rolling hills. The air got fresh and we both knew we were "almost there!". Since my car was purchased through Algoma Motors (in Algoma, WI), but actually came from Dallas, TX I joked that it was being called home. My dad agreed and thought it needed a wash before my uncle saw it. So, we popped to nearest car wash and washed 5 days of grim, bugs, and other creatures from the windshield.
we headed back to the house of our family friends and this was the view---

It might not be a snow-capped mountain, but dang this lake makes me happy! Although this is the "wrong" side (it's the west side of Lake Michigan), but sits almost directly across from Ludington (my happy place).

We arrived at the Rabas house. The Rabas's have been part of my life since the day I was born. And always in my life in some way, even though they lived across the lake. We vaactioned with their family over the years and had the kind of fun kids can have when they are on the water or in the woods or just with eachother. Jackie, is my age. She got married years ago and now has three kids. It's been since well before her wedding that we last saw eachother. I got to spend time with her and meet her kids.
We played all afternoon.

 And took tours of town in the convertible with ym Uncle Jeff (called circuits).

We had dinner at mo's- where literally everyone knew our names-- including my dad's! Once I was introduced as his daughter beers and scratchers were passed to me. I must be great, if I was with all these great people.
We were in small town America. The kind of town that you don't believe still exists. Well, it does and it's charming and quaint. And serves the best fried chicken (well broasted) you have ever had in your whole life. And I am most definately not a fried chicken person.
It was a fantastic way to end the trip! (or at least to just have one day remaining).
We started the trip with good people and ended it with great ones.
It solidfied for me that no matter what great adventures await you, you need good people to book-end those experiences to actually make them great.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment