Thursday, August 9, 2012

Happy Birthday, Papa!

So, I am a day late to posting this, but what else is new these days?!
Yesterday,was my dad's birthday.
He turned 59 (I am sure he is fine with me posting that....fingers crossed).
In last year or so, we've had more than one conversation about "being old". In part because my brother and I have both turned 30 or have been for awhile, so the topic of age has come up.
In those conversations, my Papa has been known to call us "old", in hich case we turn to him and ask what that makes him. ;) Then the teasing and conversation goes from there.

I have said this before, but it should be said again (and always), my dad is one of my all-time favorites. He remains a steadfast guide in my life (even after I moved out and grown-up).
He is quiet, but wise.
He is fiercely loyal.
He is kind.
He is loving.
He (and my mom, too!) showed us how to love.
He is funny. I still think he is one of the funniest people I know.
He is a "steeltrap" (his words, not mine). But serisously he knows everything about everything. And that was proved to be true while driving across country a few months ago. (a trip by the way, where one could easily tire of a companion and I did not tire of him at all. And we talked a lot.)
He whistles when he is happy.
He is quiet when he is concerned.
He always seem to know the right words to say when there don't seem to be any.
He is happiest spending a day on water...
with my mom
and his dog.
(oh, and maybe with his children, too!)
He is obsessed with boats.
He is generous.
He is a hard-worker.

I don't know... he's just my Papa.
Other people see it too though.
He's special.
And I am so lucky to have spent 32 of his 59 years knowing him. (and fingers crossed another 32!).


Me with Papa at age 1. (which makes him maybe 27??)

Evidence of the silliness...

with his favorite person at another favorites wedding.

on the water in Vancouver, BC

whistling away through the UW campus.

again--more silly.



So, Happy 59th Birthday, Old Man! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment