Monday, August 6, 2012

This is it.

(from June 6)
Well, today is the day. My last day in Seattle.

I ran my last minute errands and packed all my stuff so when Papa arrived I'd basically be ready to roll. (He is not a late morning person and is on EST). Aubrey and I had our date at "our place". We talked and laughed, per normal. And when I hugged her goodbye, I said "I'll you at Thanksgiving". No tears. I know I'll see her and that we'll talk- whether she comes to me or I go to her. It was a nice way to say "see ya later" and to make sure I got my fix of the best veggie french dip ever made. No matter what I know it'll be a bit before I get back here.

Before I picked up Papa, I was able to meet a new favorite for dinner. We ended up at my favorite place in West Seattle and enjoyed a spectacular view of the city and the mountains. My pal was having an exceptionally bad day, so we had a normal friend dinner. Talked about life and didn't discuss me leaving until the very end. She is a new friend- recently moved from the south. I am so grateful to have gotten to know she and her husband. They were a really exquisite addition to my world here in Seattle. I have so enjoyed getting to know them over the past 6 months. They are people who are there for you. People to have fun with. And people who you love to know. They experience life and just knowing them makes you happy. Although tonight I said goodbye, I know these two new people will forever be friends. And again, there were no tears when I said goodbye.
Then, Papa was here. I had to go get him, which meant that all of this is really real.

Not only was my last official day in Seattle filled with my favorite people, but my mountains all made an appearance (and a spectacular one at that!). It's been some days since they have come out to say hello. I was so worried that I wouldn't see them to say goodbye. Even seeing them disappear into the night, I didn't shed a tear.


And while finishing up some work for the day, before I am gone and checked out from this for a few days, I got an email from Aubrey. A goodbye video. And I cried. I cried so hard I thought I would wake up Papa sleeping in the other room. I cried one of those gut-wrenching, cleansing cries that leaves you feeling spent. That you're all done. That you've cleared it all out and can move on. That kind of a cry.
I blame the song. If you listen, it's beautiful.
And that beauty just touched a place in my heart that I had buried in the adventure of it all.
I still think this is a good choice, but I needed to cry. To start the process of letting go of something I have loved. A good cry is part of the letting go. And, I for one, think it's an important one.
So, I cried.
And with that said, goodbye. Not see you later. But goodbye.
And with a ful heart, I am headed to bed to get some rest before we depart to places unknown.
I am more excited than nervous.
And am feeling very lucky and loved after my day.
Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment