Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oldies but goodies

Each morning, I start my day with a good cup of coffee (since moving to Seattle, I can say I have become a coffee snob!) and breakfast. I open the computer and begin to read my daily list. That is my list of news sources and blogs that I check to say, Good Morning to the day! Today I came across, what can only be described as an article on ym age showing. It was on yahoo news (not the most repuatble source, I know, but fun for the fluff of life!). The title- Things Babis bron in 2011 Will Never Know. It was based on an article written from the Huffington Post a few days back. There were many things on the list that didn't surprise me (or make me sad). But then there were the ones that made me feel like kids born in 2011 would be missing out if they never knew. The list below is going to make me sound like a ninty-year-old lady, but I don't care. Bring me my knitting, my walker, and hearing aid. I embrace the old lady inside and think you should too! Here's the list I pulled from their list. I mean it makes me really sad.
1.-Paper Maps. Alright I know that a gps, your phone, whatevs is much better tool to use, but what is going to happen on a family road trip when the mom can't mess up reading a map and the family doesn't get lost. All those great, "remember when mom thought norht was south" or "remember that great little hotel on that random road", or one from personal experience- "remember when you accidentally drove through the redwoods?!". There are stories and missed adventures without a misread map.
2.- Watches. I know they are already becoming obsolete and this makes me so sad. I mean, even my papa has been watch-free for years. First he used his beeper (remember those?!) and then moved onto his cell phone. If he is moving into technology, I prpbably should too. But there are so many times when a cell phone just can't be used. It is a computer and is not 100% reliable (no matter what I like or want to think!). Your smart phone stops working (all the time!). On an event in the rain, you can pull out a water proof watch and know the time. You cannot safely pull out your smart phone. Plus, there's something to knowing the time is right there on your wrist.
3- Hand-written letters/ Mail. Oh, this one makes my heart so very sad. I know the art of letter writing is dying and dying fast. I mean, why not? We have every other possible way to communicate with another person. Why would you write a letter that will take 3-4 days to arrive when you can send a text or email that will arrive in seconds. I will tell you why---
a.) Getting something in the post other than a bill, junk, or stuffing is such a fun feeling!
b.) A letter/card is tangible. You can look at the letter again and again and see the person's handwriting. It can prompt memories of their hands or emotions that an email typed neaty (likely without spelling errors) cannot.
c.) Greeting cards are fun! I love, love, love to send and receive cards in the mail. They are fun and something different than an email note. And as hard as Hallmark tries, the e-cards are just not the same. Plus, spending $$ on an email card just makes me mad! It's an email, that took .02 cents to make and you are charging me to send it to someone I love. No thanks!
d.) Without handwritten mail, where will Grandmas and Grandpas put the $5 cash for your birthday? Remember how great that was when you were little?!
e.) Without mail, what will happen to the love letter? Oh what a find when you come across one you thought you had thrown away. years later, they can still make you feel warm and fuzzy inside remembering how silly and passionate young love can be. Or maybe they just make you giggle (also fun). An email would have been deleted, on purpose the day you broke up. Those words will never come back across your world. And yes, once you re-read that note you will most likely throw it away, but what a fun memory to come across on that day.
4.- Commercial radio. Not the biggest on the list. But where else will you hear the local happenings in the background all day? I hate ads and annoying dj's as much as the next person, but it's fun to hear the local talk in each city I visit. XM is nice for the lack of ads, but I miss out on the traffic reports, weather, etc.

So that's my list. I know internet, smart phones and technology can improve many of the above, but what about the oldies but goodies.

PS- And my random thought for the moment. How is it that the perfect song always seems to pop on the radio at the very right moment?! As I was writing this, not one but three of my old favorite songs played on the radio. Just proves old (and the radio) is not always out of style.

No comments:

Post a Comment