Friday, January 21, 2011

One Year.

Wow! Yesterday I realized it was one year ago that left on the last leg of my adventure move from Phoenix, AZ to Seattle, WA. I left Modesto, CA (where I had escaped the "storm of the century") and took off for my new home. I left with a vague idea of where I needed to go and with a destination in mind. In San Francisco I had to phone-a-friend for directions to the road less taken, due to GPS issues and my lack of a real map. I got on the correct highway and began one of what will likely be an all-time favorite adventure. I headed up Highway 101 in the pouring rain. I had NO idea where I was going or what I would see.

Along my way, I saw the vineyards of Northern California, the most incredible Pacific ocean views (postcard worthy), the Redwood forest (incredible), and then the mountains. I kind of expected the vineyards and ocean views, but literally had no clue I would see the redwoods. I was driving along the roads, often times the only car out there, with no cell service--just a girl and her car. Literally, I was staring up at these trees thinking they were the tallest things I had seen in my life and then I saw the sign-- Valley of the Giants. It was only then that I put it together. (Before you judge--remember I still did not have a map with me, so honestly had NO clue where I was on the map.) I squealed all by myself because I was so excited. Then I started to sing "America the Beautiful" in my head..."from the redwood forest to the Gulf stream waters...". Until then, I never understood. At that moment, I GOT that song! Even with the rain and dreary winter weather that drive was as beautiful as some of the scenery I have flown around the world to be privy to view. "How lucky am I?", was all I could think as I continued to drive.
Between the surprising sites and the pure excitement of embarking on this adventure, I made the trip in 19 hours straight. By the time I was ready to stop, I was just SO close and then I saw the Space Needle. Talk about a sight for sore eyes! Right then and there I knew this would be home.


Since then, I have lived in my little cottage and loved it (rainy days and all). I am still discovering the sights and sounds of my new home. And I still delight in the mountain appearances, the fresh fish markets, and oh so much more. I am looking forward to what the next year will bring here in my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment