Tuesday, January 31, 2012

it's the little things

Something I have know for probably all my life, but a theme that keeps popping up in my daily world- it's the little things that make a difference. (It could be I am just paying more attention these days.)
I've been noticing how much the little things matter.
In my work.
In my relationships.
In my daily life.
It's the little things that really make a difference.
An unexpected card in the mail just to say hello.
An email filled with good news.
An unexpected encounter in a public place.
A kind word or gesture can make all the difference in someone's world.
I try to make the effort to bring unexpected joy to my favorites. But sometimes life just gets in the way.
For some reason, my attitude was a little poor for the last year. I had a lot on my mind. Not an excuse, but sort of an excuse.
And now, as Em would say, I have brain space to spare.
I can be more patient with other airline travelers.
I can smile at the passerbys.
I do these things without thinking much of it. But as it's been happening more and more I realize how much of it I did not do this past year.
Especially on a day like today.
I popped into the grocery store on the way back from the post office and was trying to be efficient, but spotted an older woman who looked like she was struggling with her purchases. As I walked in from the parking lot I saw five people pass her and she still struggled. As I got closer, I just asked her if she needed help. She started to cry. She did need help. And simple help. She just needed someone to help her carry her storage boxes to her car (which was in a hadicapped space just across the driveway, btw). She had a Cadillac walker (I don't know what they're really called, but that's what my dad called my grandmas. The cadillac- a walker that you can sit on.) and had balaned the purchased storage bins on the seat section and thought she could just make it the 50 steps to the car. It didn't work out.
It took me less than 2 minutes to walk her boxes to the car and put them in the trunk. It took me, with my funky bones and constant limp, less than 2 minutes to help her. It was no big deal to me. But it was to her.
She told me she had been standing there for 5 minutes trying to figure out how to manuever and I was the only one who looked at her and made eye contact and then actaully offered to help.
The boxes were for boxing up her recently deseased husband's belongings. She is moving out of their home and into a place closer to her children in Oregon. She was teary just talking about it. To be honest, I got a little choked up too (who wouldn't?). She tried to pay me (ridiculous) and then just gave me a hug. I made sure she was set and went on my way.
I grabbed my groceries and still made it home in plenty of time to have lunch (write a blog post), and be early for the next conference call of the day.
All of this was to simply share a reminder to take a minute to be kind. To help a friend, neighbor, or a stranger. It could be the most important thing you do all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment