Thursday, September 6, 2012

Donkeys and Elephants.

Ok, now any of you that have regularly (or not so regularly) read this blog must know that I am not a politcal blogger. In fact, I am quite certain aside from a funny remark about being friends with the Obamas I have never mentioned anything related to politics, ever on this blog. And most likely not in person either.
I avoid conflict like the plague and mentioning politics tends to rile people up. I don't like that. For a few reasons--
  • I am not well-educated enough to hold an actual conversation about politics with someone who is uber-informed.
  • I don't like to argue. Ever. About anything.
  • Sadly, I think I am apathetic enough in my middle-class/upper-middle-class bubble. (some may even say I have lived a charmed life. I would agree for the most part.)
That last point is something I feel strongly about changing. Democracy in its very nature requires the voter to be educated. And requires that the voter cares.
I think my age and now my place of residence will most deinately help with this aquisition of information and thus the apathy will head out the window. I am doubtful that I will ever be a huge political advocate, but one never knows. There may be an issue that stings me in just the right way to get me out of my bubble and canvas, or protest, or speak up about it, but right now, there's not. And maybe there should be. I need to be educated.

So, in my efforts to become better versed of things in the political world, I committed to watching the national conventions on tv. (I realize both will sway the "facts" to be what works best with their agendas. But I assumed by watching both, I could deduce the real truth rather than what the particular party wants me to believe.)  And yes, I did actually watch both.
I know the DNC is still happening, but they're on the backend, almost done, so I feel confident about my takeaways.
Now, I will be the first to admit (and did above), I am NOT a politcal person, so this is no way supposed to educate or infuriate any party or person. Though some may not agree, this is my blog and thus my thoughts. Only once in awhile is there a place for someone else's thought here. Anyway, so my takeaways:
- "Spin" is definately a HUGE part of both agendas. I find this to be supremely annoying. Just tell me the truth, for real. Not the truth that is convienent and fits with your particular agenda.
- I feel like both sides are so extreme. Everyone can't be wrong all of the time. Or right all of the time, for that matter. Can we just find a happy medium?
- I wonder what happen to the politics of old--when people could disagree with one another but still respect one another? Disagreements are part of life. I just wonder at what point did things become "my way or the highway"? I don't like that. Life doesn't actually work that way. Compromise is a way of life. And part of that is meeting eachother in the middle.
- I feel like the spectrum of political parties is as follows:
  • Republicans are the pessimists.
  • Democrats are the optimists.
  • The tea Party are the Crazies (sorry, but some of things that come out of their mouths is kind of mind-boggling).
  • The Independents are really just people who aren't sure where they fit.
And as for me, I align on most things more with the Democratic party than with the others. There are some things I don't agree with, but most things fit right in with my schema. (I am sure my dad is rolling his eyes and grumbling and spouting some facts and reasons why I should shift, but that's where I'm at. And as a sidenote-- since I brought up my dad and I had mentioned the disagreements and respect once you are done...my dad is definately a republican (even though most of his family is not) and he and I disagree on many topics/themes, but no matter what the discussion, we always respect eachother when we walk away from the discussions.)

So, thus begins a few months filled with learning and education.

1 comment:

  1. i so relate to this post. i should have watched both conventions too. good on you for educating yourself!

    ReplyDelete