Monday, September 3, 2012

The long weekend.

This weekend was the first holiday I spent in my new city. Though, if I am honest, most of the time was spent in Maryland not in the district.
The proximity to family has been (and will continue to be) one of my most favorite things about living in this hustle and bustle of a city. Many people I meet ask where I've come from and almost immediately ask "why would you have left?!". It's not the greatest comment when you're trying to figure out how this new city fits and how you fit in it. But I feel quite confident in my response. I say it every time--Seattle is an amazing city, for sure. (and whose to say I won't return someday?!) But nothing grounded me there.
Don't get me wrong I had wonderful friends, but friends are friends even if you're far away. But living near family is something I have never done as an independent adult. It is a gift. And I am completely loving it so far.
Although my work has kept me from doing all the things I'd like to do to get me acclimated to my new town (in November, I WILL go to a museum!!), I have been able to take full advantage of the favorites living nearby.
They have been an escape from my office space.
They have brought sunshine into a rather cloudy atmosphere (my work is less than ideal at the moment. I see the light coming through the clouds. I see the potential for greatness, but need to navigate this "storm" I am in right now before I get there. I did ask for a challenge....)
They have shared my excitement over the little things in my new world (a pool nearby, great pizza across the street, the zoo so close-by, etc).
And they have welcomed  me into their world.
I love it there.
I love that they allow me to just be part of the normal days- the good and the bad.
I love that it's still fun to see eachother, but it's no longer a special occassion. Rather it's just part of normal life.
A new baby is coming to their world very, very soon, so I offered to stay with the little ones while the grown-ups took some time just for them. While it was meant to be helpful to them, it ended up being EXACTLY what I needed! I mean, there is nothing so sweet as enjoying ice cream with two giggling little ones. Add in sparkly shoes and princess movies and you have the makings of super-fab Saturday night! ;)
I had so much fun with all of them and feel like they gave me more than I could ever give to them.
I am not convinced this is where they will always be, but I am sure that I will enjoy their company as long as they reside nearby (and they welcome me into their lives).
Add caption


Shoe-shoes.

Princess Sparkly shoes!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment