Sunday, May 20, 2012

It's here. The big move week.
The movers come on Wednesday.
As I mentioned the other day...I am both excited and nervous.
What I didn't mention is that I might be a bit of a hot mess.
I had intended to play over this weekend (or at least part of the weekend) with a friend on the San Juan Islands for her birthday. It's been planned since January. So, I made sure I could work from the island and went out on Thursday. To get there, you need to take a ferry. I heart ferries. For real.
In fact I have always hearted ferries. There is a large car ferry in Ludington, where I always vacationed as a kid and where my parents have their cottage. But the car ferry in MI is large and black and looks a little scary. There is something very charming about the WSDOT ferries. They are white and green (MSU anyone?!). They remind me of a cartoon...I just love them!
Anyway, we took the ferry and got to the island in mid-afternoon. We couldn't check in to the resort until 3pm, so I took my computer and worked from Eastsound, WA. Eastsound is a delightfully quaint little town right on the south side of Orcas Island. It was a beautoful day and I enjoyed a few hours of work outside on a rather enjoyable patio. I finished my work and got to the resort just in time for cocktails and apps. Perfect timing. ;) The group was freidnly and super fun!
We settled in and relaxed. It was a perfect way to remove myself from the nuttiness that my immeidate world has become lately. We BBQ'ed for dinner and went to the cafe for a little show. All were in bed by 12am. (I was definately a happy camper about that!)
Friday morning, we awoke and enjoyed coffee and pre-breakfast. The breakfast crew made an amazing brunch and folks eased into the day. I needed to head back to town to work some more. Once in town, I found a new spot and settled in. As I started to work on my to-do's, I started to feel pressure in my chest. My breath quickened. Tears pricked at the backs of my eyes. And I FREAKED out! Seriously, I had a full-on panic attack. I have NEVER had that happen before but here I was in a coffee place, literally starting to hyperventilate. I had to get the eff out of dodge!
I checked the ferry times and scurried back to the lodge to say my goodbyes and get back to the ferry before 4pm.
I got to Orcas Village in time to catch the ferry back on Friday night. I needed to get home and get packing! While rushing into the deck to get some work done, I fell up the stairs. I am now the proud owner of a gnarly bruise on my skin and one to match on my elbow. GRRR.
At that point, I dropped the computer bag back in the car and went to just veg out during the hour long ferry ride. As I slowly attempted to walk back up the stairs, I sniffed the scent of fresh popcorn. My inner Ferd Schulte lept a little bit! I snagged a bag and hightailed it to the front of the boat to enjoy some corn and some views. While enjoying the time-out and the fresh air, I spotted something in the water. It was a pod of orcas!!! Poeple pay BIG money to go out on whale-watching tours and here was on a regular boat ride checking out a huge pod! Amazing. And one more reason for me to love the WSDOT ferry system.
What an incredible way to end my adventure. And a great way to kickstart my week of wildness.
I just need to remember to breathe. And find my groove.



It was a great way to close out the adventure. And I think a good way to kickstart this week of adventures and wildness...
I just need to keep breathing. Find my groove. And just do it.

1 comment:

  1. sounds overwhelming, but remember, you will get it all done! hang in there my friend.

    ReplyDelete