Wednesday, May 30, 2012

officially official

Well, it's officially official. Though not proper English that is the statement that confirms I am 100% in to Washington, DC. Today I signed a lease.
E and I spent a super fun (and kind of random) day together on Saturday house-hunting for me. Part of the hunt was to figure out a neighborhood and a house within it that I'd like to call my home.
The place I landed on was the 2nd place we looked at. When we got there, I really liked. We were a little early, so we investigated the hood. One mile away, we found a farmer's market, a Target, and really anything I could ever actually need. There was even a flower booth. (I was a little in love). And a Metro stop! The place is new, I'll be the first tenant. The property manager was someone I could be friend's with. She lives down the block and touted all the good things about the neighborhood---a Capitol City bike place (you rent a bike and drop it anywhere in the city you see a location....amazing!), a coffee shop, an amazing bar, and a pizza place. And apparently, it's the friendliest neighborhood in the district. Neighbors know neighbors! And people hang out on porches. It sounded really perfect, but it was only the 2nd place we looked at and I had a list of 8. I was a little in love with a different neighborhood, but the place there didn't work out. To be honest, I was heartbroken. I hesitated a little on the application because I didn't want to commit and then be disappointed.
After church (yes, I went to church with E and C), brunch, and some mattress shopping I borrowed the car and went to check out a few more places. The first one on Sunday was in a fancy neighborhood and I was sure that I was going to find a place. Then I walked into the place--- no thank you! I didn't even walk trhough the front door. Then I went to another neighborhood and didn't even want to get out of the car. It squashed all of concerns about committing to place #2. (Oh, and the very first place was in total sketchville, so it was a no before we even walked into the door!). By the end of the day, I was already moved into the new place! (in my head.)
So, I will be moving into a 1BD plus Den in the Columbia Heights neighborhood in early July. I will be 2.9 miles from the Obamas (and all the monuments!); 1.2 miles from a pal, 1.3 miles from the National Zoo. I am thrilled to discover this new place and am excited to call it home.
(Oh and I will have room for guests!)


No comments:

Post a Comment