Thursday, May 10, 2012

to the universe.

I feel like all I talk about these days is the move to Washington, DC. It's a big deal. But I am tired of talking about it, to be honest. And yet, here I am writing about it in my own blog because it is cosuming my thoughts. Rightfully so, it's a big deal. But there are other things in life, I should be posting about. I am here to tell you this will be one more post that has to do with the move, more or less.

When I was moving from Phoenix to Seattle, I made an off-hand joke that I was going to meet and be friends with Dave Matthews. It is no secret that e lives in Seattle, actually in a neighborhood near mine. Friends of mine who live here have interacted with him on rare occassions, so I knew it was possible. From what I understand, he and his family are super cool, regular-type people. He just so happens to be a rock-star. Whatevs, no big deal.
Almost immediately after moving here, I went for a walk with a pal and she took me to a coffee joint nearby. As we walked by, she told me that she and a friend would sometimes work there with the hope that Dave might walk in. It was a local, known Dave hangout. (And yes, we are on a first name basis.) She told me the story and I laughed. Loving the idea that they went there mosty because he might walk in. Well, that was back in the days when I had mucho to do and needed to get out of the house to get items done (I am well on my way to being that way again....). Anyway, I was new to the hood and knew where that place was, so decided to haul my computer up there and do a few hours of work one evening.
As you know, I work from home. That means, I may be clean but not ever fashionable. This day was no exeption and maybe worse than normal. I had my glasses on, my hair pulled into pigtails (cause I had gotten a rather traumatic short haircut, but that's a whole different story), and was wearing my favorite sweatshirt at the time (a neon floral number). In short, I was attractive. (sense the sarcasm). There I was in the coffee shop, drinking my coffee, hammering out the contracts that needed to be done and I noticed an attractive guy walk past the window. It happens.
Well said man walked into the coffee place, his voice was familiar. He hugged the barista and kept on talking. In a matter of seconds, I had the following series of thoughts---
- wow, his voice is sexy.
- omg- I think it's dave matthews!!
- omg, it IS dave matthews!!!
- okay, be stealth. Don't stare.
- how can I NOT stare. It's frickin' Dave Matthews!!!
- is this really happening right now?!
- holy shit! I am staring and they're noticing.
- Look down! Look down.
Though I cannot be sure, I am fairly certain my mouth was hanging open during the seconds all those thoughts raced through my head.
At the point I realized they notice me staring, I did look down and pretend to work.
They continued their brief chat and said their goodbyes. (While I pretended to work.)
As they said goodbye, I did look up and made eye contact with Dave. (dying.)
He walked over and graciously said "hi, I'm Dave" and shook my hand.
I smiled like an idiot and said nothing. Yep, no words. (awesome.)
Dave walked out and I stared.
Then I realized what I looked like right at that moment. Damn. Not that I would have gone home with him or something, but at least I could have looked more like a cool girl rather than the mess I was at that moment.
The barista (who was actually the owner), happened to be BFF with Dave. He looked at me, laughed, and said I actually handled myself better than most people. Um, what? Poor Dave.
So, that was moment when I became "friends"with Dave Matthews. Okay, not really. He doesn't even know my name. BUT, I did shake his hand. I am going to say that counts. Mostly, because who is going to argue?! ;)
So, I put it out to the universe and it happened.
I am putting the same mojo out to the universe for my move to DC. While I don't have a home yet, I do know that I'll live in the district, so technically the Obamas (like Dave Matthews in Seattle) will be my neighbors. After some thought, I am putting it out there that I am going to be friends with the Obamas. Yep, that's right. I am going to rub elbows with the President and First Lady. I am hopeful it'll be a friendship to include fancy balls and international guests. Fingers crossed. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment