Wednesday, May 16, 2012

One week

Today is Wednesday.
It's a beautiful spring day here in Seattle. It's the nth (I don't know exactly, so I am reverting to math to help me...N) day in a row of sunshine and warm temps. This is unusual. But as anyone who has lived here knows, we very quickly forget the yucky days as soon as the skies are blue and the sun is shining. It has been beautiful. Such a vast imrprvement over last spring. Last spring was so rough that it may have scarred me for life, but that is another story.
As I was saying, today is Wednesday.
You're probably saying, "So, what?".
Well for me, Wednesday means that one week from right now....
One week from this exact minute.
The movers will have been here and gone.
All my stuff will be packed.
And it is very likely the house will be cleaned.
And I will be handing over my keys.
That means my time in my little cottage will come to an end.
And means saying goodbye to Fremont.
Sigh.
As you may (or may not) know, I have lived in this space for just a little over two years. Almost as soon as I got to Seattle, I found this amazing cottage. I talked with my landlord before I got here and had a 'feeling'. I met her and saw the space and knew before I even walked in the door that this was going to be my home. I didn't have to look anywhere else. It can be tricky to find. (It's taken a bit to train delivery people!). But once you find it it feels like you're approaching a cottage in a storybook or secret garden (especially in the spring and summer when everything's in bloom). It sounds weird, but there is something a little magical about it.
No seriously major life events happened here. (I mean, like no babies or weddings or anything super serious like that. No changes to taxes stuff.) Just life.
And it's been good.
Really good.
I have been so happy here. In my magical little cottage.
But I have one week.
I am excited. And I am nervous.
I am ready. But feel like it is coming so qucikly.

As of one week out, I have 17 boxes packed. The kitchen and bathroom still need to be packed up.
And I need to figure out EXACTLY what to pack during my "homeless" period while floating between a few  things. I will be on an event, house hunting, attending serious business meetings, playing on the beach, and officially moving. Um, seriously, what does one pack??
I currently have 12 pairs of shoes, 9 skirts (dressy and casual), a few sweatshirts (do I need to remind anyone that a) it is summer and b)I am moving a very warm place?), 2 dress pants, 2 bathing suits, a plethora of t-shirts, event pants and event raincoat, and whole bunch of other random things. I know that once i put something in a box, it is completely unaccessible until July. For some reason that makes me want to pack everything under the sun! The thing I need to keep in mind is that most days I wear the exact same thing....jeans and t-shirt/sweatshirt. I change the underpinnings (yeah, I went old school to be classier) daily, but the external wear is the same. I am sure my neighbors think I own two things- jeans & a green sweatshirt. Oh and a coat.
Realistically, I could pack the event stuff (I really do a few things because you get dirty on an event), one nice outfit for meetings, one pair of jeans/capris and a handful of shirts. Done. But what is going to happen will be the list above and I will fill 3 suitcases of things, plus a toiletry bag, and my work bag(s). The car will definately be full full. Papa keeps teasing me about making sure I have space for him(he's going to be my driving buddy) and his small bag. The reminder might be more than just a joke.
So, one week....
Here. We. Go!
Whoa.

No comments:

Post a Comment