Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Snug as a bug

Well, the storm has come and gone.
And I am just fine. As is everyone I know. Thankfully!
As it turns out, DC wasn't hit as hard as everyone thought.
Yesterday I felt like it was a snow day....just waiting in anticipation for the unknown. Before 2pm, I made the choice to head the burbs and wait out the storm with my favorite little family. It's always more fun with friends.
We played games, had a yummy dinner (homemade mac & cheese), and were snug as bugs in a rug. The grown-ups and I have a mutual love of the show The Voice, s after the kidlets were tucked in (with a glow stick, of course!) we settled in downstairs and watched the show (and caught up). And listened as the rain whipped the windows, and the wind howled. We heard one tree snap. And just before the end of the show, we lost power. For the whole night. Lou-lou loves the Dollar store (and things that light up), so we had more glow sticks and mini lanterns than any small group should ever need. So I read my book by the light of a little light and we went to bed.
We woke up this morning and played some more games, then decided we needed to take an adventure drive-- look for fallen trees and craziness. There was a lone road closure. nothing major. But we did discover their new favorite grocery store (a story for another day) and grabbed a coffee (hooray!). By then, I found out the power was back on at my house, so I headed home. I had a few work things to get done (because unlike all the federal offices, my office was still open!) and wanted to make sure my cozy English basement hadn't flooded.
I got home and all was well.
It is coldy here today. In fact, it feels like a winter Seattle day-- cold, rainy, and dark. (It sort of makes my heart happy.) So, It's time to bust out the cozy sweatshirt and my favorite scarf. And of course, my slippers! (I've kind of missed my slippers.)
I may even need the flannel sheets!

But no matter what I will be snug as a bug. (not in a snuggie, but this is the only non-creepy photo I could find to fit that phrase!)

A huge thanks to my favorite family for being such fun Hurricane pals. I can't wait for normal life to resume tomorrow so we can play!

No comments:

Post a Comment