Thursday, October 18, 2012

This is one of the reasons.

(10/11/12)
During my on-event experience for one of the events we do, I sleep on a bus Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights. While participants look at this scenario and think we sleep in luxury (not actually the case.) We sleep 11 to a a bus and 1 bunk for junk. For me, on a quick one weekend experience this really isn't that bad. But for those that sleep on the bus full time for 14 weeks, luxurious is not a way to describe it!
The bus becomes your home away from home while you are on the event. You have an assigned bunk and it gets cleaned once a week (on the "off" days) and that small little space becomes your escape. It's the place you can be alone with your thoughts, a movie, or a good book.
There are three layers of bunks on each side-- bottom, middle and top. As a rotating staff member (someone who comes in and out), you generally get put up top. You're there for three days, so it's really not a big deal (well for most people). For me, with my wacky bones, it's impossible. For real. I've tried when someone was a little less than accomodating a few years ago. And now since I only have one event with this series, I thought for sure I would be up top. But when I asked, I was told the rotating EPM got the bottom. And it's because of me.
When they were making bunk arrangements at the beginning of the season, they took my needs into consideration. I was so unbelievably touched. On a day that was a little more crazy than calm and on a day where I begin to question my decision to do what I do that thoughtful gesture brought a tear to my eye. I was immediately reminded of why i work where I do. And why I have been here for almost a decade (craziness!). I work with people I love, respect, and thoroughly enjoy on events that make the world a better place.
That's why I work here. That's why I work 100 hours a week sometimes and don't feel as bad as I should about it.
And that's just one of the many, many reasons.
So, thanks friends for making my work a really great place to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment